A Fine Dish

dish (v) to emit a ready flow of inconsequential talk... babble, blab, burble... chatter, dither... gab, lallygag... natter, patter, prattle, rattle on... yammer, yawp...also...chew the fat, shoot the breeze, sling the bull.... and (n) a container to serve food -or- the food contained in the dish ....(archaic slang) a hot mama

Name:
Location: Rock Creek Township, North Carolina, United States

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Nearest Book Meme

This comes from the incomparable Laurie of slowly she turned fame.

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that “cool” or “intellectual” book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.

The nearest book to me is The Anapanasti Sutta by Ven. U Vimalaramsi. It doesn't have 123 pages so I am taking this from page 93, the last page in the book.

May suffering ones be suffering free
And the fear struck be fearless be
May the grieving shed all grief
And may all beings find relief.

May all beings share in this merit
That we have thus acquired
For the acquisition of happiness.

May beings inhabiting space and earth
Devas and Nagas of mighty power
Share in this merit of ours.

May they long protect the
Buddha's Dispensation.

Saddhu! Saddhu! Saddhu!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had worried about you, Zha K. Nearly three months and no postings. I wondered if you'd been the victim of North Carolina forest fires or other freaks of nature. Thankfully, you have been very prolific of late.

I thought I'd try the challenge of posting about what I'm reading. As is typical for me, I'm reading three books at once. Let's see what comes up.

Page 123, fifth sentence, following four sentences.

First, of course, for any New Yorker of Italian descent, The Godfather. Let's see what it says at the appropriate place

"Sonny answered. Michael whispered, "Sonny, I'm down at the hospital. I came down late. Sonny, there's nobody here. None of Tessio's people."

Next, the Bible (original St. James version: I have 5 of these; my 4th grade daughter's hidden the only Catholic version). We find ourselves in the first chapter of the Book of Deuteronomy, 17th verse.

"And I said into you, 'Ye are come unto the mountain of the Amorites, which the Lord our God doth give unto us.

"Behold, the Lord the God hath set the land before thee, go up and possess it, as the Lord God of thy fathers hath said unto thee; fear not, neither be discouraged.

"And ye came near unto thee every one of you and said, 'We will send men before us, and they shall search us out the land, and bring us word again by what way we must go up, and unto what cities we shall come.

"And the saying pleased me well: and I took twelve men of you, one of a tribe."

Finally, naturally, Nancy Friday's pseudo-psychiatric, actually just gratuitously erotic, Women on Top:

"Slowly licking the tender flesh, never touched by any lover, I smelled with my sharp sense the sweet musk of his young body. As my sharp canines pierced the warm flesh, his body stiffened and he moaned again, deep and hoarse, and then was perfectly silent, except for the gradual slowing of his beathing. Slower, slower -- and my drinking, first rapid and eager, then softer and slowing. His vibrancy and life flowed into my body, warming my limbs and swirling my keen sense into a swoon."

Interesting exercise, Zha K.

Of course, I'm left -- breathless and rather pink and blushing -- wondering why any person, man or woman, would allow well-defined dogs("sharp canines")to cut through someone else's someone's skin.

Glad you're back. Hope your family's well. Please don't let me go this long wondering where you are. Email me if the time span goes past 45 days.

I need to run; have reading to do. Can't figure out which book to pursue tonight.

Suggestions?

BILL FROM CHAPPAQUA

1:57 AM  
Blogger Zha K said...

Yo, Bill.

"...don't let me go this long wondering where you are. Email me if the time span goes past 45 days."

Not forest fires but you might want to check out the most recent post.

Email works both ways. What have you been up to?

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I confess.

I lost your email address

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home